Earlier this year, my daughter-in-law asked me to make capes for her boys. I was happy to, but it took me a while to get them done, so I just threw them in with the Christmas box.
My concern with capes is that if they get caught somewhere, they could choke the kid before he can get help. I considered velcro straps instead of ties, but even that worries me, because if you catch it just right, it might still not come undone.
After researching a bit on the internet, I came up with simple instructions for making a safe cape. I modified the pattern a little, because it was using felt, and had Batman edges. I used regular fabric and hemmed the edges, so they are washable, but otherwise it's pretty much the same.
My capes have no designs because my daughter-in-law has some iron-ons she will use for them. My husband asked a little boy downstairs to model them for me, and here they are. I made four colors, but we got pictures of two of them. The others are red and green. Each took about a yard of fabric.
|Superman ponders the secrets of the universe.|
Or maybe he's just a bit shy.
|I have got to print this one for his mom.|
|Batman is ready to jump, or fly, or whatever Batman does!|
|On this cape, you can see the elastic on the arms.|