I am an unfinished work, and so are many of my projects. This blog is just an odd collection of things I make and do.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Ivy League

My poor ivy has not done well in the move. It used to have strands that I could drape across the wall above my sliding glass doors. Each strand, or branch, was over seven feet long.  I don't know what I did wrong, but it did not like the move to Iowa and it has been losing leaves along large sections of its branches.

I cut off the bad sections and stuck the new sections in very damp soil, but it still fails to thrive.  


I talked to Lisa, the woman who does the plants at work, and she said I should trim them to create fresh new ends and put them directly in water. I am trying an experiment to see which works better, an opaque plastic container or a clear glass container that allows light to the roots.

Right now they all look faded and thin, so I don't know if they will survive at all, but I thought it was worth a try.  I love my plants.  I hope this little ivy, which I have had for many years now, survives the move.

No comments: