I am an unfinished work, and so are many of my projects. This blog is just an odd collection of things I make and do.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cookies and Cream

I saw this coaster at a restaurant, Red Lobster, I believe, while I was on vacation. Doesn't it look delicious? Unfortunately, not gluten-free or dairy-free, so I didn't have it.



After our trip, I kept thinking about that cookie, so I decided to try to make my own version.


It's not as pretty, but it was delicious! 



My "lava" soaked into the cookie a bit, so it did not run out as well as the original. Still, it was super yummy!

How I did it: 

(The brands I use are in parentheses; if you have a favorite brand it will likely work just as well.)

Mix up a batch of Toll House cookies using gluten-free flour (Domata) dairy-free mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life) and vegan margarine (Earth Balance).  Bake some of them in cupcake pans. Immediately, so they are still soft, push something slightly smaller than the cupcake into the cookie to make an indentation. Let cool.  Bake the rest of them so they come out close to the size of the top of the cupcake pan openings. Cool a few minutes and remove from pan.

While still warm, fill the bottoms with Hershey syrup, cap with a cookie, and top with a scoop of non-dairy frozen dessert. (Almond Dream) Drizzle with Hershey syrup and dig in with a spoon.  

Warning: this is a very rich dessert. 

What to do with extra cookie dough:  Make cookies, of course!  I did them starting a little thicker, which is easier with the GF flour, and when they came out of the oven, I pressed a thumbprint into each one and filled the hollow with Hershey syrup.

No comments: