I am an unfinished work, and so are many of my projects. This blog is just an odd collection of things I make and do.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Little Squirt Birthday Cake


I am a woman of many talents...cake decorating just doesn't happen to be one of them.  However, my grandson T wanted a cake shaped like a squirt gun for his birthday. It's expensive to special order such a cake, so the parents asked if I could do it. It was easy to cut out the shape, but when I set aside the pieces for the trigger guard and cap, Grandpa ate them!  Luckily I still had the corner piece, but I re-cut it in a hurry so it's quite out of proportion to the rest of the squirt gun.

The frosting is stabilized whipped cream. I wish I had a little more whipping cream so I could have made it thicker and my corners didn't show through so much.

I did get teased about the "IV" when it means 4, not 5.  Oops. I meant to put five, and I know it's V. I just goofed.  Notice the five white candles forming the "squirt of water" at the left side. The blue sprinkles are supposed to represent squirted water drops too. I "glued" them on with egg white.

T seemed to like the cake--and after he blew out the candles, he reached right out and ate some of the blue gel from the tray. I'm glad it was from there and not the cake!

1 comment:

Chels said...

That's way cute! I love the candle placement and the shape of the gun. You did awesome!

Cara's birthday is coming up, and I'm going to be very boring. We're having chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting. That way everybody gets their own cake, right?